Sonntag, 23. Februar 2014

Review: xda-developers.com review / how to on SidneyKs unofficial Android 4.4.2 OmniRom + New BaNkS GApps

Soooo... after having a bad start with Android KitKat 4.4.2 OmniRom (was very unresponsive with Next Launcher 3D - and even with stock launcher with some widgets lagged and the appdrawer was no joy for the eye with 200+ apps installed. But recently I saw a Dude who said he got SidneyKs unofficial Android 4.4.2 KitKat OmniRom up and running with ART enabled by using another GApps package. Hm... So I I gave it another try. Here is what happend:

(Please note that it's your own responsibility to proceed further.
I can't come up for damages and can't always be there with personal advice.
The tutorial may be made on and for TF101 but should work on other devices
and versions too. Be careful. You pay what you destroy!)

Preparations

Since my Titanium Backups and my NAND backups where up to date I had no need to do any backups. If yours are obsolete plz do them first by follwing the links in the text above. Then

So I ejected my extSdCard, did a factory reset (TWRP 2.6.3.0-12), did an advanced wipe (Dalvik Cache, System, Cache, Data, Internal Storage) nad finally formated the data partition by typing "yes".

STUPID WAY, TRY #1 DONT FOLLOW, ADVANCE TO "SMART WAY" - Learning purpose only

Next I re-inserted the extSdCard ane rebooted to system while holding the volume down key and then hit volume up, when propted to. When TWRP asks me to install supersu I chose yes. (Anyway you can see a "failed" error which will lead to some trouble later). Back to TWRP 2.6.3.0-12 I installed the unofficial OmniRom 4.4.2-20140216 TF101 HOMEMADE and the BaNkS 2-11 GApps standard 4.4.2 , because they should enable me to to use Art. Cleaned dalvik, rebooted. lets it settle a bit. Did some setups, Installed ES File Explorer from Play Strore. Installed Titanium and Root Explorer. And: FAIL: No Root Acces...so I went back to recovery and installed SuperSu 1.9x. Back on System: Titanium and Root Explorer Working. So I finally actived ART and he succeded. After a Reboot and a long time th etab took for optimizing apps (like when you clean the DALVIK Cache) I was back in system. Starting Titanium Lead to Force Close. Deinstalling and Re-Installing did not work. Deinstallin yes. Reinstalling no. Guess there were any odex fragments left. But they were not in the know folders.. Thought because ART was active now and the fragments got new locations... so lets advance another try:


SMART WAY, TRY #2 FOLLOW THIS ONE!!! - Will save you some time

Next I re-inserted the extSdCard ane rebooted to system while holding the volume down key and then hit volume up, when propted to. Back to TWRP 2.6.3.0-12 I installed the SuperSu 1.93 since the TWRP 2.6.3.0-12 (in my very subjective case - or because it is wanted like that fails to install it, even when it asks you to) fails to install su. I installed the unofficial OmniRom 4.4.2-20140216 TF101 HOMEMADE and the BaNkS 2-11 GApps standard 4.4.2 , because they should enable me to to use Art. Cleaned dalvik, installed the SuperSu 1.93 again, rebooted, did the basic setup (skipped Google Accounts and turned all options off)  and let it settle a bit. I entered the tablet info screen an repeatly hit "Build-Number" to unlock the developer options. Then I activated ART. The tablet prompted, that ART is not there to be used yet with OmniRom. I skipped it and after a Reboot and a long time of waiting (the tab took for optimizing apps -like when you clean the DALVIK Cache ~80 apps) I was back on track.

ART working

So I did some minor setup:
  • So here are some settings I changed to feel more at home and made the system more responsive:
  • Display settings: Turned off daydream / Turned sleep mode to 2 minuten.
  • Key setting: Disabled "headset launches voice"
  • Sound settings: turned sound diablog view to extended and all other souns off (exept alarm and noticed). Also turned notice sound to "Plastic Tube" and alarm zu "Fremium" sound.
  • Security settings: Turned off app verification by google and enabled third party apps (unknown sources). Also turned of menu unlock and camera widget.
  • Developer setting:
  • Performance Setting: CPU to 456MHz - 1200MHz - enabled on boot
Next I Installed ES File Explorer from Play Strore. Installed Titanium Backup (NOT ALL VERSIONS ARE KITKAT ART COMPATIBLE!). FAILED. To. For now Titanum Backup seems not to be compatible or I'm somewhat stupid.

As confirmed by a user from xda: I'm stupid. Both apps should be running fine!

Anyway. So I wanted to see ART in action and installed Little Inferno via Humble Bundel. The loading time didn't seem to have improved. But for that the overall performace of the game is much better as on OmniRom 4.4.2-20140216 TF101 HOMEMADE without ART. The laggs which appeared every 2-4 secods were completly gone. Soe "Little Inferno" which was almost unplayable on OmniRom before is now as fine as on Timdurus KatKiss #21. So I installed Next Launcher 3D to see the performance: Foced Close on start. :(

As confirmed by a user from xda: I'm stupid. Both apps should be running fine!

That's it for this. More testing later.

Whats nice:
  • ART is actually working
  • ART does bring gaming peformance
  • It's quit cool that you can turn the quicktiles in the status bar.
  • It's nice to be able to turn the sounds dialog to "extended" on standard.

Whats not:
  • Titanium Backup force closes (my fault?!)
  • Next Launcher 3D force closes (my fault?!)
  • Overall performance seems to be a bit sloppy here and there.
 Tested features:
  1. Camera
    • Photo front / back working
    • Video front / back working
    • Other Options working
    • Panorama and Fishbow Mode not working
    • Gallery working
  2.  Apps
    • Root Explorer working
    • ES File Explorer working
    • Titanium Backup not working (my fault?! - see above)
    • more to come...
  3. System Stuff
    • Omni Switch working
    • HDMI working
    • Wi-Fi working
    • BlueTooth working
    • Found no way to reduce the overloaded quicktile menu :(
    *There is a simple way. Open the quicktile menu, touch the pencil, then ONCE tuch the tile to delete. Thats it. :)

    • more to come...

What's to be comcluded:
  • Titanium Backup issue
  • Next Launcher 3D issue
  • Netflix should be working with THIS but haven't tested it yet myself
  • GPS
  • Battery Usage
  • ART Incompatibility to other Apps
  • Wasn't able to figure out anything about multi windows
(Multi window is working. Keep the opened app touched in the recent apps / omni switch screen)
More to come...
Usefull Links

Download Omni Rom for Android KitKat 4.4.2-20140216-tf101-HOMEMADE.zip

ROM related Questionts and answers @ xda-developers by kuzibri
TWRP 2.6.3.0-12 
SuperSU 1.93 
Banks GApps ART working

Alls BaNkS GApps versions for Anroid 4.2.2 - 4.4.2 ( +xtras) 
SidneyKs Github Site

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen